Friday, April 4, 2014

Where I'm From

I am from balloons, from Scamp, and Netflix.
I am from butterfly kisses and footie pajamas.
I am from a small, hectic, cluttered box.


I am from the sage and the sun, comforting and warm. I am from xes and os, nappy curls and slick Moroccan oil. From Mom and Dad; Omi and Cuckoo; GG and Val; and from Schoenthal and Williamson; Finley and Muse.


I am from the fights and confusion, the silly and the simple.
From “If she’s not there, she doesn't love you,” and “I will always love you”.
I am from trust and respect, from manipulation and fear, from here and there.

I am from spirit and soul, from hymns and bibles, from togetherness and inner peace.
I'm from the Caucasians and the Negroes, the peach, brown, and the gold. From Germany and Scotland, from the reservations and the African plains. I am from Jesus Christ Superstar and Hair. I am from Tarzan and the Lion King.

I am from “What? I’m not eating that?” and “Wow, that’s good”. From the organic meals and beautiful gardens.

From the plane ride back from Cali, the Thomas the Tank suitcase, and the foster mom with the twin boys. From Chuck E Cheese, the twisted cousins, and so much noise. I am from the birthdays and Christmases, the weddings and funerals, the happiness and sorrow.

I am from the beat, the land, the music, the wonder.
I am from leadership, friendship, and support.
I am from the grateful and the thankful, from the blessed with beautiful life.
I am from passion and lack of judgment. I am from Disney and song.
I am from “Stop, Breath, Relax”, from the laughter and joy, from the family who will forever be one.

I am from anything but ordinary.

4 comments:

  1. I really love this poem and how it just kind of flows, and how personal it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez Louise! I love how personal you were with this! Also I appreciate how you changed the fonts to fit the connotation of each word.

    ReplyDelete