Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What Teachers Really Need To Hear: A Reaction to What Students Really Need To Hear by C. Mielke

What Teachers Really Need To Hear: A Reaction to What Students Really Need To Hear by C. Mielke


Dear Teachers Everywhere,


I am going to assume that C. Mielke spoke for all teachers when he wrote his article “What Students Really Need To Hear”. So, for those of you who are doing your jobs and losing sleep over us students, thank you. I am truly indebted to you.


As a senior in highschool, I have been taught by many different teachers in my life, through two different school districts and online college classes. Some of these teachers have helped me to realize my potential and keep me motivated. I am looking forward to the future! Some of these teachers, on the other hand, have not. So for those of you who are doing your jobs and influencing your students in positive ways, thank you. Now, let’s look at Mr. C. Mielke’s article in more depth.


In the first part of his article, C. Mielke is telling students that teacher’s lose sleep over us at night because they worry and care about us. I would like to again, thank you, and also let you know that as students, we do the same thing. I can’t say that we care about your futures in the same way you care about ours, but we do care and we do appreciate you! Now, because I can’t speak for all students, I will stick to referring to myself for a moment.


I lose sleep thinking about making you satisfied and proud. I lose sleep thinking I am not living up to your standards. There is a lot of pressure on students; when I have outstanding teachers, I feel as if I need to be just as outstanding, which can be a little overwhelming sometimes. But, don’t worry, it’s a good feeling knowing I am are working hard for such amazing people. So thank you for fatiguing me.


Next, I’d like to point out that students also lose a lot of sleep because of the career we have. As long as you have careers as teachers, we have careers as students; we both have jobs to do. Us students are expected to do our homework every night plus study, participate in extracurricular activities, eat well balanced meals, keep good hygiene, have social lives, and get good amounts of sleep. Unfortunately, the good amounts of sleep thing doesn’t always happen. I know you expect a lot out of us and believe in us, but sometimes we need a break. It is hard being a kid, and even harder to be a student. As hard as we try, we can’t always live up to all of the expectations… but know when we come to school exhausted and fall asleep at our desks, it’s just because we are trying so hard to be successful. (Oh, and thanks for not letting us get away with it.)


Moving on. C. Mielke points out the fact that school is about a lot more than academics. For instance, he sees school as a learning opportunity for dealing with harsh situations and adversity. I’d like to say that I totally agree, and that is one of the hardest lessons of all! If overcoming adversity was a school subject that students were graded on, I’m not sure many people would pass. It’s hard! Thankfully, students see you and how positively you see life and that makes us want to keep trudging on and working hard! As long as you keep doing your jobs, we’ll keep doing ours. Every once in a while we may need a little pick me up, a little kick in the butt… but we’ll get the message after a bit. And for the students that you see “quitting”, please understand that the adversities you talk about are indeed difficult and sometimes just too much for our poor teenage minds. Just remember that you guys are miracle workers and your passion and drive for teaching can help get us back on our feet!


Everyone learns a little differently and everyone has different circumstances they have to work around, but if you can adapt to us a little, we can adapt to them! Kind of like… I scratch your back, you scratch mine? Well, maybe it’s not quite the same, but you get the picture! Either way, we can all work together,students and teachers, to make each year of education a rewarding experience for everyone! You guys are all doing an incredible thing by caring about us, and not giving up; that’s what we need, someone to keep us in check!


Oh, one more thing. Students don’t just see you as teachers, but much more than that. You are nurturers, seconds mothers and second fathers, coaches, friends, leaders, role models, guides, motivators, clowns, lawyers, doctors, the occasional prison guard, geniuses, miracle workers, dancers and singers, warriors, and most of all our sidekicks, because without you, we wouldn’t be on the paths to greatness. As much as you bring us stress, we put it back on you, and yet you still give us comic relief during the day and love throughout our academic careers.


So I’d like to thank you again, for being there for us students. Those of you who truly have a passion for teaching and care about us, are real heroes. You all deserve raises.


With gratitude,
Grace

A future teacher

4 comments:

  1. Very heartfelt! I can tell you are passionate about your feelings and your response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll make a lovely teacher some day. I appreciated how you addressed his more harsh points gently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peace! I hope so!

      Delete